Approximately five million joint replacement operations are done each year worldwide. Although most people who undergo this type of surgery are over the age of 65, but about a quarter are younger than 55. Damage to the knee joint can result from various reasons but the most common cause is Arthritis.
Surgery to replace all or part of a damaged knee joint can have a dramatic effect on the lifestyle of someone suffering from severe pain and disability, but it is a major operation which should not be undertaken lightly. Your consultant will advise you about the likely benefits of surgery, but the final decision to go ahead is yours, and before making it you should be sure that your expectations about its outcome are realistic and that you understand what is involved. It is hoped that this article will provide enough information to help you make an informed decision.
THE KNEE JOINT:
PROSTHESIS OF KNEE JOINT :
The doctor will decide about the best material to be used in your particular case.
This selection will depend upon factors such as –
- Your Age and Normal Level of Activity.
- Degree of Damage.
- Deterioration of the Bones of your Knee Joint.
- Femoral Component :It is the part which fits onto the thigh bone. It is made of highly polished alloy like cobalt, chrome, oxinium.
- Tibial component :This is like a tray. It is also made of metal like Titanium. It comes with a highly cross linked plastic dish like structure together they make the tibial component.
- Patellar Component :It fits on the patella. It is also made of highly cross linked plastic. All these components are fitted over respective bones with the help of bone cement.
- Oxidized Zirconium :Is a tough Zirconium alloy metal substrate which decreases the wear as a result of which life of joint increases.
The following systems are helpful to the surgeon while performing surgery, which decreases duration of surgery & increases accuracy.
Systems used during TKR surgery :
- Computer Navigation :This system allows surgeon to take help of computer during surgery. This increases accuracy of surgery, which inturn increases the long term success of operation.
- Patient Matched Technology :In this most modern technology, patients MRI Scan and X-rays are sent to Engineers in the United States.
They prepare specific blocks for individual patients. This helps in making the surgery faster and more accurate. This also helps in increasing the long term results of surgery